[mythtv-users] My first MythTv box, first linux box and first build

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Thu Sep 13 21:41:44 UTC 2007

On 9/12/07, Chuck Rudolph <rudolph4404 at comcast.net> wrote:

I'm tired of VHS tapes and multiple VCRs so I've decided to build a MythTV
box.
This will be my first Linux machine and my first build.
I'm looking for recommendations to the following. Over built? Under built?
Too noisy?

I wanted some room for expansion - more disk and capture cards.
I'd also like it quite. It'll be in the entertainment cabinet with the TV.
The TV is not digital and wont be for a few years yet.
I have 3 different inputs:

*	analog cable

*	cable converter box for scrambled channels - Motorola
DCT2224/1662/ACDEG

*	It has a 9 pin Female D connector labeled data

*	It has what looks like a phono plug labeled IR

*	and the afore mentioned VCR - I'd like to get rid of some of those
tapes...

Here's my current http://newegg.com shopping list...

	SILVERSTONE SST-LC17-B Black Aluminum front panel, 0.8
<http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811163055> mm SECC
body ATX Media Center / HTPC Desktop Computer Case - Retail
Model #: SST-LC17-B
Item #: N82E16811163055

I would suggest going with a mATX case.  especially if you are puting it in
your living room.  mATX cases are the size of stereo recievers so the
'blend' better than a full ATX case.

$139.99 	-$20.00 Instant   	$119.99

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX
<http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131013> AMD
Motherboard - Retail
Model #: M2N-SLI Deluxe
Item #: N82E16813131013
$139.99 	  	$139.99

Again...go to mATX.  I would suggest the Asus
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131014> M2NPV-VM
it a great board.  It has onboard nvidia 6150 graphics card.  Comes with a
TV bracket so output too S-video, composite, or Component HDTV (480i, 480p,
720p, 1080i).  all of that is configureable in linux.  Plus its only $89.99

Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 500 MCE White box PCI Interface
<http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16815116628> Personal
Video Recorder - Retail
Model #: 1081
Item #: N82E16815116628
	$139.99 	  	$139.99
I picked up a Hauppauge WinTV GO-Plus cheap from my local CompUSA when it
was going out of business. Don't know if the card will work with Linux or
not yet, but I figured I could make use of the IR Blaster and remote that
came with it.
I'd like to add another PVR 500 in the not too distant future.

good choice

XCLIO STABLEPOWER 500W ATX 500W Power Supply - Retail
<http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817189014>
Model #: STABLEPOWER 500W
Item #: N82E16817189014
	$69.99 	  	$69.99 - Tried a couple of the online PSU
calculators which told me I need something at least 440W.

may be overkill but with all your HDD wont hurt.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor 2.8GHz Socket AM2
<http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819103771> Processor
Model ADA5600CZBOX - Retail
Model #: ADA5600CZBOX
Item #: N82E16819103771
$149.50 	  	$149.50

good choice.  this will give you some great HDTV  when you deside to
upgrade.  Does this support AMD Cool-n-quiet?   Thats a nice feature may
want to look into it.

Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2
<http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820134117> 800 (PC2
6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N5K2/2G - OEM
Model #: KVR800D2N5K2/2G
Item #: N82E16820134117
$119.99

overkill in IMHO.  I run 512mb RAM in my FE/BE.  I have 1 pvr, 2 OTA
(HDHomeRun), and firewire HD have never had an issue while all are recording
and I am playing HD.  Thats with a P4 3.4ghz too. (with XvMC)

$119.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM
<http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822148136> SATA
3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: ST3500630AS
Item #: N82E16822148136
$119.99 	  x3 	$359.97 - Thinking of software raid 5 with LVM.

Subtotal:

Tiger direct has your Seagate 500GB SATA 2 drive brand new for $99.99,
that'll save you $60 on your build

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3
206259
<http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=
3206259&sku=TSD-500AS4&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM1454C>
&sku=TSD-500AS4&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM1454C

-Steve