[mythtv-users] Does it matter which Hauppauge tv-card i buy???

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Sep 14 14:07:40 UTC 2007

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Sep 13, 2007, at 8:32 PM, Bill Omer wrote:
>
>>> Stay away from 350
>> Why?  Doesn't the 350 have the same chip set as the 150, but contains
>> superior tv out for sd?
>
> You'll pay extra money for functionality that is being phased out.

I think it's not so much that the 350 output support is being "phased
out" as that it is not being actively worked on, so eventually something
will break the support and it may or may not get fixed.

There are certain situations with certain hardware where using the 350's
output capability might be a good answer, but I think those situations
are getting rarer and rarer.

As for "superior" SD output I'm not sure. It certainly does a good job
of MPEG2 decoding, but you lose the ability to use the openGL painter,
so the overall user experience might not be perceived as "superior".
Certainly anything from a 5200 on up provides very acceptable
performance, known compatibility, and an upgrade path to HD should you
need it.

Unless you have a specialized front end that for some reason can't do
more standard output graphics, are certain you'll never need HD, and are
capable of some work to fix problems that might develop with 350 support
 (or are willing to risk breakage down the road) I'd stay away.

beww