[mythtv-users] Kernel rollback problem

David George david at thegeorges.us
Fri Sep 14 14:34:31 UTC 2007

On 09/14/2007 08:33 AM, Craig Huff wrote:
> I am running FC6 and keep at least one previous kernel around whenever
> I upgrade, but never had need of it until now.  I want to revert from
> a 2.6.22 (IIRC --  not able to check right now) kernel to a 2.6.20
> kernel to regain ACPI alarm wakeup functionality while the kernel devs
> are investigating how it got broken by their improvements.
>
> Now I find I need more knowledge to revert to the older one successfully.
First thing is edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst and change the default to
your old working kernel.  I usually remove the rhgb from the kernel line
so I can see everything as it starts up.

> I tried a manual override from the grub startup screen and it started
> to boot, but it froze when it got to starting the X font server (xfs),
> not to be confused with anything to do with the xfs file system.
Could be when you upgraded the nvidia kernel module for the old kernel
was removed.  If it has reinstall it.  I seem to remember something
about new Xorg removing xfs (X font server), but I don't think that is
going to hit until Fedora 8 comes out.

> What do I do?  How do I figure out what to do for the next
> complication (there's always room for one more ;-)
Here are a couple of things that may help you get to the point where you
can troubleshoot it:
Try <CTRL><ALT><F1> to see if you can get to a console.  If not reboot
with the working kernel and edit your /etc/inittab and change the
id:5:initdefault: line to id:3:initdefault:.  This will change your
default runlevel to 3 which disables X-windows.  You should then be able
to boot with your old kernel and hopefully be able to figure out what
happened to X.

HTH,
--
David