[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun and jumpy video

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri Sep 14 16:11:27 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> Rich West wrote:
>
>> Dan Ritter wrote:

>>> What's your hardware on the frontend? Have you had perfect HD
>>> playback before?
>>>
>> This is my first foray in to HD on this box other than playing DVD's or
>> DivX/MPEG-4 HD video.
>>
>> The FE's have AMD64 3000+'s, 512MB RAM, local IDE drive, nVidia GeForce
>> 6200.  The machines have always been rather bored.  Even when I was
>> pushing HD during my tests last night, the machines were still bored...
>>

> Are you using nVidia's drivers? HD with the generic nv driver is
> problematical.
>

>> I guess I'll hit up RadioShack or something for a decent powered antenna
>> vs the tiny thing I picked up at HomeDepot and give it another shot this
>> evening.
>>

> Funny thing about digital TV: You either have it or you don't (sometimes
> known as the "cliff" threshold).
>
> If you have sufficient signal to watch it's unlikely a powered antenna
> will help. Also remember than amplifiers amplify the noise as well as
> the signal :-)

Definitely using the nvidia drivers.

Yup.. the advantage/disadvantage of being binary (1 on, 0 off). :)

The antenna I picked up is this little powered antenna that is about
3.5" x 7" x 1/2".  It's ever so slightly bow shaped with a long (3ft)
extendable antenna off of the back of it.  When I bought it, I figured I
was only picking it up for testing/proof of concept.  Antennaweb shows
all of the stations to be ~21miles from my house at 277Degrees (almost
due-west).  I'm betting I probably need something a little more serious
than this thing...

-Rich