[mythtv-users] Free US/Canada Listings

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Sep 14 19:39:04 UTC 2007

Andrew Close wrote:
> On 9/13/07, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
> <snip/>
>> In a very real sense, *EVERY* law report is the history of a mistake.
>> The mistake may bave been a physical one: who caused the accident. It
>> may have been a factual and legal one: 'you are dismissed for cause'.
>> (That's both factual and legal dynamite). And it may have been a purely
>> legal one: 'our lawyers say the contract gives us the right to
>> terminate'. But the parties never end up in court without SOMEONE being
>> wrong. And it is not always possible to determine who will be found to
>> be wrong. And remember, the person in the courtroom who knows the least
>> about what happened is the person who decides. The parties and their
>> lawyers know lots more about it. And sometimes the best advice a lawyer
>> can give to a client about something is to sound exactly like your
>> mother when she said "Don't DO that!" "Whhhyyyy" "Because I said so."
>>
>> And it takes all of these recycled electrons because, as a lawyer I am
>> never, ever prolix, verbose or longwinded. To the contrary, I am always
>> short, terse and succinct.
>>
>> Because I said so!
>
> bravo!  well said/scripted.
> i think that was the first thing written by a lawyer (Barrister) that
> i actually could make sense of.
>
> ;)

Oh damn, now I'm in trouble. We are not supposed to do that, you
realize. That is, make sense...when we are not being paid. We're
supposed to be incomprehensible for free, so you will pay us large sums
to explain again what we just said...

OK, I made that bit up, as James Lileks likes to say...

Geoff

Geoff