[mythtv-users] Need help tweaking settings for analog TV display

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 21:53:58 UTC 2007

I have just switched over from using a VGA monitor to the "normal" output of
S-video on my first system for *really* watching MythTV videos and I have
some problems with the display.

This is a plain old 27 inch color TV with S-video and composite inputs.  I
am using the built-in Nvidia GeForce 6150 display from my Asus M2NPV-VM
motherboard to drive it via S-video using a 6-foot cable.  I have followed
Jarod Wilson's xorg.conf settings, but changed the mode line to only allow
640x480 since all the higher resolutions were even worse, as far as
readability, although they all worked, even up to 1280x1024.  I'm "cheating"
because I still have the keyboard and mouse connected.  I am running MythTV
version 0.20.2-165 from ATrpms under FC6.

Here are my problems:
1) Even at 640x480 resolution, Myth setup screen fonts are waaay too
itsy-bitsy, even at 4 feet viewing distance, and, yes, I have my glasses on
;-(  I have gone into the setup page for Appearance and set the font size to
big.  I can't see any difference.  There's gotta be something I can do to be
able to work on this frontend with out doing what I'm doing now and running
upstairs to the backend and sshing into it.
2) The color is saturated.  Red is bleeding all over.  I tried accessing the
playback/live TV picture adjustments with the "F" key, but it doesn't seem
to be functional.  The "G" key gets me recording picture adjustments, but as
expected, they don't affect the live TV display.  I tried to find a
keybinding in the Edit Keys setup screens, but nothing seemed to match the
function I'm looking for and scanning didn't come across anything bound to
the "F" key, either.

Seeing as this is a Frontend only system, there's no mythbackend to
restart.  Do I need to restart something else, or get out of mythwelcome as
well as mythfrontend to get setting changes to take effect?

TIA,

Craig.