[mythtv-users] I keep getting disabled from the list

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Sep 14 22:03:14 UTC 2007

David Engel wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 03:22:55PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
>> Jay Mallar wrote:
>>> Not exactly sure why, but every three or four days, I get "disabled" due
>>> to "too many bounces", but only on this list.  I'm on several other
>>> lists, although not nearly quite as active, and I've never been
>>> "disabled" before.
>>>
>>> Any idea how I can track this down?  I'm not even sure who's doing the
>>> rejection...
>> Not sure, but I think "secureserver" has something to do with GoDaddy,
>
> It does.

Thought so.

>> and I have heard complaints that some of their anti-spam measures can
>> get too aggressive.
>
> They most certainly are too aggressive.  I went through hell this past
> January trying to get them to quit blocking www.mythtv.org as a spam
> site.

Yeah, their philosophy is wacky. I subscribe to the "better than a
hundred guilty men go free..." theory.

>> I'd start there.
>
> I'd rather start with the actual bounce messages.  I've asked Isaac
> for them a couple of times, but he hasn't delivered them yet.  Dealing
> with Godaddy technical support, at least regarding email and spam IME,
> was pure hell and I'd like to have as much information as possible
> before going into battle with them again.

They can be a little crazy. One time they identified a "spammer" (they
were incorrect) and simply blocked the sender's entire class B network
block. Not the best solution IMHO.

My friends solved the problem by simply not sending mail through them. I
think it will take a lot of people doing something like that to change
their behavior, their management doesn't care if you talk to the tech
guys all day, as they are paying them anyway.

I can certainly understand why it would not be Isaac's highest priority.

Don't they have some way to whitelist a site?

beww