[mythtv-users] Need advice for preserving LVM partitions during FC7 installation

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 02:14:20 UTC 2007

I have an FC3 box that I am about to reinstall with FC7 so that I can
upgrade myth and get past this zap2it problem.  Anyway,  I've backed up all
my configuration files, but I have too many recordings on an LVM setup to
make this kind of backup feasible with existing hardware.  I am running a
two drive LVM with about 400GB of recording space.

Is it possible to only destroy the root, boot, and swap partitions when I
run the FC7 install and therefore preserve the partitions (/dev/hda4 and
/dev/hdb1) that are participating in the LVM volume?  My thought was that
post-install, I could restore the LVM config file from backup to bring the
LVM configuration back to status quo.

Here is my fdisk output:

Disk /dev/hda: 163.9 GB, 163928604672 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19929 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
(boot)
/dev/hda2              14        1288    10241437+  83  Linux
(root)
/dev/hda3            1289        1353      522112+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda4            1354       19929   149211720   8e  Linux LVM

Disk /dev/hdb: 300.0 GB, 300069052416 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 36481 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hdb1               1       36481   293033601   8e  Linux LVM

I am not sure if what I am thinking about doing is possible, and if so, what
partitioning strategy to choose during installation to preserve my LVM
partitions.  I would think I need to select manual partitioning, but after
that I am not sure what choices to make.   If automatic partitioning is an
option, I am not sure what defines a Linux partition, since I can choose to
only destroy those partitions during installation.  Are my LVM partitions
considered to be "Linux" partitions?

Thanks for any guidance from myth-land...

Larry