[mythtv-users] Need help tweaking settings for analog TV display

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 01:46:35 UTC 2007

On 9/15/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 09/14/2007 05:53 PM, Craig Huff wrote:
> > 1) Even at 640x480 resolution, Myth setup screen fonts are waaay too
> > itsy-bitsy, even at 4 feet viewing distance, and, yes, I have my
>
> <snip>
>

> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#All_my_fonts_look_like_they_are_the_wrong_sizes.2C_how_can_I_correct_this.3F
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Display_Size
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Specifying_DPI_for_NVIDIA_Cards
>

> > 2) The color is saturated.  Red is bleeding all over.  I tried
> > accessing the playback/live TV picture adjustments with the "F" key,
> > but it doesn't seem to be functional.
>
> Only works with GF5x00 and below.
>
> >   The "G" key gets me recording picture adjustments, but as expected,
> > they don't affect the live TV display.
>
> LiveTV is a recording, so they will affect that.  It's a per-channel
> adjustment, though.
>
> <snip>
>
> For the color issues, find out if it's an issue with the capture card by
> playing back a recording (preferrably one with the default recording
> picture control settings) on another system.  If it works, reset all
> your recording picture controls (you can use MythWeb's channel editor to
> "sync" them all up at once).
>
> If it's not the capture, it could be anything from your video card to
> the video card drivers or configuration to the S-Video cable.
>
> Mike

Mike,

What, no "delete all capture cards"? ;-)

Seriously, thank you for the advice.  I didn't use the right search terms,
apparently.  The dpi *was* 75x75, and I have now fixed that and verified
that the change has taken effect, but the fonts were still too small.  I
went back into mythfrontend and drilled down through the menus from
Utilities/Setup | Setup | Appearance and on the fifth dialog screen,
captioned QT, I discovered that the font sizes I had there (perhaps I
had changed them in the dark ages of getting MythTV going?) were
*way* smaller -- 6, 8, and 12 -- than the defaults shown in the help at
the bottom -- 12, 16, and 25.  Things are looking much more readable
in the mythfrontend settings dialogs now.  IIRC, there was some recent
talk about how MythWelcome doesn't follow those settings, which would
explain why the pop-up menu in MythWelcome and the settings screens
are still too small font-wise.  I don't recall what, if any, fix there was
address these issues.  How do I get them to use a larger font?

As far as the color problem, this is a FE-only system.  The capture cards
are all on the BE and outputs look fine (on the 1280x1024 VGA monitor).
I believe that I restored all the recording picture control settings at the
time
I was fiddling with them because I didn't want to make things worse and
they didn't appear to be affecting this problem -- no need for making it
*two* picture control setting problems.  I don't even know *how* to use
MythWeb yet. Somehow I suspect I need to do something with activating
an apache server, which I may have installed as part of following Jarod
Wilson's Fedora Core 6 installation guide, but...  If it comes to that, I'll

track down the section in Jarod' HOWTO and the references in the
MythTV guide.

I will try and see what I can do with nvidia-settings.  I will also try
switching from the S-video cable to a composite cable (RCA to RCA) and
see if that makes a difference (after I switch the xorg.conf TVOutFormat
option to match).

Any more advice?

Craig.