[mythtv-users] Need help tweaking settings for analog TV display

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Sep 16 12:18:53 UTC 2007

On 09/15/2007 09:46 PM, Craig Huff wrote:
> What, no "delete all capture cards"? ;-)

I'm slacking off, aren't I?  :)

> Seriously, thank you for the advice.  I didn't use the right search
> terms,
> apparently.  The dpi *was* 75x75, and I have now fixed that and verified
> that the change has taken effect, but the fonts were still too small.  I
> went back into mythfrontend and drilled down through the menus from
> Utilities/Setup | Setup | Appearance and on the fifth dialog screen,
> captioned QT, I discovered that the font sizes I had there (perhaps I
> had changed them in the dark ages of getting MythTV going?) were
> *way* smaller -- 6, 8, and 12 -- than the defaults shown in the help at
> the bottom -- 12, 16, and 25.  Things are looking much more readable
> in the mythfrontend settings dialogs now.

That setting allows you to select the QT (unthemed) font size.  Most all
of MythTV uses themed fonts, so those settings have an effect only in a
couple of places--primarily in mythtv-setup (but also in "pop-up"
dialogs like the "scaling theme images" and the MythVideo detailed
description (whatever it's called).

>   IIRC, there was some recent
> talk about how MythWelcome doesn't follow those settings, which would
> explain why the pop-up menu in MythWelcome and the settings screens
> are still too small font-wise.  I don't recall what, if any, fix there
> was to
> address these issues.  How do I get them to use a larger font?
  For those parts of MythTV that use a theme, the theme specifies the
font sizes.  Some themes have more than one font size specified--a
"default", a "small", and a "big" size.  For these themes, you can
choose which is used with:

Font size
    - default
    - small
    - big
default: TV, small: monitor, big

(Where, TTBOMK, the help text means absolutely nothing as we don't
"guess" the value for it.  The default is, appropriately, "default."  We
/only/ use "small" or "big" if the user explicitly selects it.)

You may want to try "big" to see if your theme specifies a "big" font.
Note that there are 2 "Font size" settings.  One applies to the OSD and
the other applies to the (themed) UI.

Mike