[mythtv-users] Machine question....

Bruce Nordstrand brucen at ksl.com.au
Sun Sep 16 13:53:57 UTC 2007

Hi all

Up to now my Myth machines have been small ones. The two I have built
are both 1Ghz Intel machines, one with 512Mb ram and the other with
384Mb ram. Live TV on both has been abysmal to say the least and I have
to use the two of them at once to record from 4 DVB-T tuners, display
recordings and process commercials all at once.

Now, my current desktop is a little better than these machines. It is an
AMD Sempron 2800 with 1Gb ram. Would it be worth my while to use this
machine as a combined backend/frontend with the hard drives onboard
(80Gb + 250GB IDE's) plus 2 DVB-T cards and use one of the 1Ghz machines
as a slave backend with the two other DVB-T cards in it. Would, in your
opinions, would I then be able to better use Live TV? Would I even be
able to use this machine as my desktop during the day and Myth machine
at night by utilising "normal" display via the VGA connector and the TV
display via the S-Video connector (nVidia FX5200) and still expect good
performance (read watchable) from Live TV?

Any and all opinions appreciated..

Cheers
Bruce