[mythtv-users] Need help tweaking settings for analog TV display

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 14:25:30 UTC 2007

On 9/16/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 09/15/2007 09:46 PM, Craig Huff wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > I went back into mythfrontend and drilled down through the menus from
> > Utilities/Setup | Setup | Appearance and on the fifth dialog screen,
> > captioned QT, I discovered that the font sizes I had there (perhaps I
> > had changed them in the dark ages of getting MythTV going?) were
> > *way* smaller -- 6, 8, and 12 -- than the defaults shown in the help at
> > the bottom -- 12, 16, and 25.  Things are looking much more readable
> > in the mythfrontend settings dialogs now.
>
> That setting allows you to select the QT (unthemed) font size.  Most all
> of MythTV uses themed fonts, so those settings have an effect only in a
> couple of places--primarily in mythtv-setup (but also in "pop-up"
> dialogs like the "scaling theme images" and the MythVideo detailed
> description (whatever it's called).
>
> >   IIRC, there was some recent
> > talk about how MythWelcome doesn't follow those settings, which would
> > explain why the pop-up menu in MythWelcome and the settings screens
> > are still too small font-wise.  I don't recall what, if any, fix there
> > was to address these issues.  How do I get them to use a larger font?
> >

>   For those parts of MythTV that use a theme, the theme specifies the
> font sizes.  Some themes have more than one font size specified--a
> "default", a "small", and a "big" size.  For these themes, you can
> choose which is used with:
>
> Font size
>     - default
>     - small
>     - big
> default: TV, small: monitor, big
>
> (Where, TTBOMK, the help text means absolutely nothing as we don't
> "guess" the value for it.  The default is, appropriately, "default."  We
> /only/ use "small" or "big" if the user explicitly selects it.)
>
> You may want to try "big" to see if your theme specifies a "big" font.
> Note that there are 2 "Font size" settings.  One applies to the OSD and
> the other applies to the (themed) UI.
>
> Mike

Yes!  MythWelcome's pop-up menu and settings dialog follow the OSD font
selection and MythFrontend follows the unthemed font selection.  For those
following this thread, the OSD font selection is in the path:
Utilities/Setup | Setup | TV Settings | Playback in the On-screen display
page;
The unthemed font selection is in the path:
Utilities/Setup | Setup | Appearance  in the Theme page.

Thanks again Mike!

Craig.