[mythtv-users] All my unencrypted HD channels are in the 700s. Can Myth tune that high?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 20:32:23 UTC 2007

On 9/16/07, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 15:02 -0400, Matt Emmott wrote:
> > I have Charter cable tv. I just picked up a QAM capable TV, but it
> > doesn't tune past channel 114.5. All my HD channels like ESPNHD,
> > ABCHD, etc, are up around channel 700. I am assuming that these are
> > unencrypted since they are non premium channels - Please correct me if
> > I'm wrong.
>
> You may be wrong, the cable operator is only required to offer over
> the air channels in the clear. Some offer all their regular package
> channels in the clear but encrypt them in their STB, others encrypt
> everything they can and decrypt them for you in the STB. And at least
> one person has reported that their cable operator says they will only
> allow "encryption to the screen TV sets" made by members of the 5C
> cartel in the last few years (which violates at least a dozen federal
> laws).

A quick check of Charter shows that WGBH-HD is 782,  WBZ (CBS) is 784, etc.
One thing that's odd is that they're listed with a DT extension, not HD. Is
this some bastardized version of HD?

Also, there are no actual channels at "700". The cable operator squishes
> up to about 8 channels into the frequency for one channel and then
> remaps the numbers so 100.1 becomes 557, 100.2 becomes 530, 100.3
> becomes 623, etc.

That's good to know.  We're veering off topic a bit, but has anybody tuned
into any  OTA HD channels at these freqs?  I get access to  some On Demand
stuff at 113.0 to 113.2 as well as a couple Music Choice channels, but
that's it.

> Anyways, since my TV doesn't tune that high, I was wondering if I
> > could get to these channels via Myth and an HD card, like the pcHDTV
> > HD-5500.
>
> MythTV will scan cable channel frequencies 2 to 159 and T-7 to T-14.
> You can extend this, if the hardware allows, by increasing the
> US_MAX_CHAN frequency in libs/libmythtv/frequencytables.cpp. MythTV
> will tune any frequency the hardware allows as well.
>
> 159 is 1005 Mhz, which is the maximum for most cable systems. But if
> yours went up to 2000 Mhz, you could change the US_MAX_CHAN from 159
> to 324 and MythTV would scan for TV on the additional EIA-542 channels.
> If a cable operator went very much past 2000 Mhz they would need more
> expensive cabling and equipment so this is unlikely, they would just
> switch to the cheaper fiber to the home at that point.

I'm going to  flag this email in the hopes that it will make more sense as I
learn more :-) . Thanks for the  wealth of information.