[mythtv-users] Enabling remote X display???

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 21:02:09 UTC 2007

I *know* there's something simple I need to do, I just don't know what it
is.

I'm trying to tweak the settings for my nvidia driver controlled display on
a plain old TV connected to my frontend system using nvidia-settings.

The problem is that since the TV is configured for 640x480, and
nvidia-settings doesn't fit on a screen that small, I can't see all the
controls.  Solution: make it display remotely on my MythTV backend which has
a 1280x1024 VGA monitor attached.  Simple -- just trot over to the backend
and run the command "nvidia-settings --ctrl-display=TV-hostname:0", but this
didn't work.

I tried "xhost +" followed by the command and still no joy.  Tried the
reverse by going back over to the frontend and entering "nvidia-settings
--display=Backend-hostname:0", with equally dismal results.  I even tried
variants on localhost and IP addresses.

The error message is invariably "ERROR: Cannot open display:
'TV-hostname:0'."

I can run nvidia-settings on each system, and I can even run it remotely
through an ssh-tunnel, but it's too smart and wants to adjust the display
that the window is opened on, localhost:10.  I even tried "nvidia-settings
--ctrl-display=localhost:0 --display=localhost:10", but it wouldn't go for
that either.

I don't have SELinux enabled (or even installed IIRC), so I don't think
that's a factor.

What am I missing?

Craig.