[mythtv-users] All my unencrypted HD channels are in the 700s. Can Myth tune that high?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Sep 16 21:28:36 UTC 2007

On 09/16/2007 04:24 PM, Matt Emmott wrote:
> On 9/16/07, Eric Robinson <ryunokokoro at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Thanks for the info. One thing I'd like to clarify is that I'm trying
>>> to set this up without an HD box. My understanding of QAM is that it
>>> will pull the HD symbol over the wire without the need of a box. My
>>> current box is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3200 (SD, no HD) hooked
>>> up to a Tivo. I have yet to hook the MythTV box up to anything other
>>> than a straight coax cable input. I may upgrade the box to an HD
>>> capable one, but I'm trying to get the most out of my current setup
>>> first.
>>>
>> What card are you using in your MythTV box?
>>
> Regular old PVR-150. I also have a WInTV-D that's been in a closet for years
> that doesn't seem to have any benefits.

You'll need a digital ATSC capture card to pull in QAM--something like
the pcHDTV HD-5500 or the Avermedia A-180.  You could also go with
something like the HDHomeRun.  See also the wiki and the HOWTO for more
on compatible digital hardware.

The PVR-150 can only tune (unencrypted) analog channels.  The digital
card will be able to tune unencrypted digital channels.

Mike