[mythtv-users] My first MythTv box, first linux box and first build

Chuck Rudolph rudolph4404 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 16 21:35:27 UTC 2007

Good call on the video card. Like I said, I've not built a PC before and I didn't understand the whole north/south bridge thing. I've since done a little more homework...

The AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ does support the Cool-n-Quiet technology. But a later post did suggest a less powerful processor. But I was thinking that I might need the extra power to support the software RAID 5. I was thinking of using some of that disk space as backup for the other PCs in the house - including digital pictures that we don't want to loose. I picked the memory that I did to support this CPUs dual channel processing.

I also wanted 3 PCI slots for capture card expansion. Viewing habits in the house means recording multiple programs at the same time. I have yet to see an HD capture card with dual tuners like the Hauppauge PVR 500.

The case got picked because it supports everything that the ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe does. The PSU got picked for similar reasons.

The missing DVD burner was an oversight. But my understanding is that these are pretty much a commodity item and that I can pick one up for < $40.

-Chuck Rudolph
Email: rudolph4404 at comcast.net