[mythtv-users] Enabling remote X display???

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 02:04:15 UTC 2007

On 9/16/07, Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 04:02:09PM -0500, Craig Huff alleged:
>
> Stop futzing with displays and let ssh do it for you.  On the backend (or
> whereever you have X running), just type 'ssh -X frontendhost
> nvidia-settings'.
>
> Garrick,

In the latter part of my post that you snipped, I mentioned trying to use
ssh.  I should have said I have x-forwarding turned on, so -X would be
redundant.  As I said, nvidia-settings is too smart and even though I
invoked it on the frontend thru an ssh tunnel from the backend, it tunnels
back to the backend to determine the monitor to be configured. ;-(  (note
the reference to localhost:10 which is the x-forwarded reference back to the
backend display).

So, the question remains, how do I reference one machine or the other,
depending on whether I'm using the --ctrl-display or --display parameter, in
order to configure the frontend display with nvidia-settings window
displayed on the backend?

Craig.