[mythtv-users] MythTV & 64bit Ubuntu?

Nedim Cholich mythtv at cholich.com
Mon Sep 17 10:05:38 UTC 2007

On 9/17/07, Tony Marsh <myth at hillsidethickets.co.uk> wrote:

> > Why do you need to run Mythtv as 32-bit on a 64-bit system?
> >
> > Mike Perkins
>
> I don't need to (and, in fact don't really want to) but I've heard
> issues about getting the 32bit codecs to work under a 64bit OS, and,
> frankly, I need the GAF to be high on this one - If I'm constantly
> patching / messing around with the box, trying to get things perfect
> under a 64bit OS, I'm going to be in trouble. a lot. :)
> On the other hand, this is going to be a little more than a combined
> back/front end for myth -  I'm planning on running a couple of other
> bits and pieces (if possible) with it, so i'd prefer to ring every
> last ounce of possible performance out of the box.

Of course your mileage may vary but I've been running 64 bit on my FE for
couple of years and didn't really see any benefit. I finally went back to
32bit and it "solved" some of my unexplained problems. At some point I
actually wasn't able to boot 64bit kernels any more (Gentoo, Fedora,
Ubuntu). Tried every possible thing with acpi, apic etc. to no avail.

On the performance side I've seen much, much bigger gain in driver
improvements lately (nvidia) then 64bitness ever had. My box used to
struggle with HD now CPU stays at 50-60% with no hickups. Never did any
encoding though on that box, and they say that's where you might see some
gain with the 64bit.

Just my 2c.