[mythtv-users] Upgrading CPU

Robert Logan bert at p3rf3ct.com
Mon Sep 17 10:38:14 UTC 2007

Matt Emmott wrote:

> On 9/17/07, *Javier Perez* <pepebuho at gmail.com
> <mailto:pepebuho at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 9/16/07, *David Fishburn* < dfishburn.mythtv at gmail.com
>     <mailto:dfishburn.mythtv at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         On 9/16/07, Javier Perez <pepebuho at gmail.com
>         <mailto:pepebuho at gmail.com>> wrote:
>         > I have an Asus M2NPV-VM Motherboard with 1GB Ram and an AMD 64
>         3500 cpu
>

>         I have the same motherboard and CPU.
>
>         Currently, I am only running SD, but I am considering buying a new
>         television and that would entail getting some HD content.
>
>         I was transcoding movies yesterday at it takes my machine 2 hours to
>         transcode a 2 hour show.  I thought it has to do it at the playback
>         speed in order to match the audio to the video.  The other post on
>         this thread indicates it was taking 15 minutes for a 1 hour show
>         (ah,
>         I guess that was just for commflagging, not transcoding).
>
>         How much are the new X2 chips and what does it involve putting in a
>         faster CPU to the MO?  Does it have to be soldered?  Does it
>         just clip
>         in?  Do any OS changes have to happen?  I am running Ubuntu Edgy.
>
>         TIA,
>         Dave
>

>     As far as I understand, you just unplug the old CPU from the socket
>     and plug-in the new
>     CPU. Nothing more should change.
>
>     I think, I would have to verify it, that Linux will automatically
>     pick up the change in CPU next
>     time that it reboots. If there is any additional optimization to do
>     to make Linux use both cores
>     to the max I do not know yet.
>
>     JP
>

> Are you guys sure that just dropping in a new CPU is enough? Won't you
> need an SMP kernel to use the second core? In the Windows world Windows
> will usually detect a second CPU and install an SMP HAL (At least it
> does in Win2K3 Server). Will Linux do the same or is it a more manual
> process?

99% of the time a distro will give you an SMP kernel anyway.
Makes no difference w.r.t functionality if youve only got one.

When the machine boots it will detect another and bobs your
uncle. If - like me, you enjoy the pleasure of kernel poking,
then you might need to enable this, and you might to recompile
and re-install etc - but its not a big issue for me and the likes.

WinXP needs prodding to use the 2nd CPU if you upgrade thus,
but Win2K3 does - as indicated find that extra one itself.

bert