[mythtv-users] Multiple commercial flagging tasks causing Mythbackend to die

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 18:20:20 UTC 2007

On 9/17/07, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:
> Cool Ryan!
>
> So, were/are we dealing with the same issue? Mythbackend not actually
> closing/killing itself when closing the application (CTRL-C)? I'm not sure
> exactly what to call the process... removing the PID?
>
> AJM,

For me, I had unstable filesystem drivers that were causing
Mythbackend to crash a long while back.  Since the comflagging and
transcoding are different programs that the backend kicks off, it
doesn't shut them down.  There's good reasoning either way, especially
since there's no polite way to stop a commflagging or transcoding and
restart it, so you don't necessary want to kill your job just because
you're running mythtv-setup for a new video source or something like
that.  While I was diagnosing my problem though, I got frequent crash
and restarts, and it annoyed me that the other processes were stacking
up, so I made that change to force them to close as well.  Mythbackend
closes ITSELF properly, but it doesn't close the "child" programs it
spawns, since in actuality you probably do want them to keep running
in most cases until there is a real reason to stop them.

Running lots of those programs, in theory, shouldn't have a big effect
on your system unless you're having bandwidth/file system problems, or
your system is struggling to keep up processor-wise anyway.  They run
"nice"d, so they give up the CPU whenever needed, and in theory should
only cause excessive disk usage, if that.  Multiple commflags could
also  thrash your DB if you get enough of em going, which can be an
issue for some people.

Ry