[mythtv-users] OT Help: mdadm segfault

Steve MacLaren scram69 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 01:50:56 UTC 2007

On 9/17/07, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> >  Unfortunately, I don't get very far trying to diagnose with mdadm - it
> > simply complains that /dev/md0 does not exist whether booted from the
> live
> > CD or not...
> >
> If it is actually running this is good. Do you have a /dev/md0 node?
>
> ls -l /dev/md*
>
> If not
>
> cd /dev
> MAKEDEV md
>
> Then try
>
> mdadm --assemble --scan
>
> or if you know all the drives
>
> mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 <drives>
>

> /dev/md exists (it is an empty directory)

mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 <drives> results in:
"mdadm: error opening md0: no such file or directory"

so then I tried MAKEDEV md anyway; I got:
"udev active, devices will be created in /dev/.static/dev"

forging ahead, I did
mdadm --assemble /dev/.static/dev/md0 <drives>, and
"mdadm: no recognizable superblock on /dev/sda"
"mdadm: /dev/sda has no superblock - assembly aborted"

Sadly, I got the same "/dev/sd* has no superblock" regardless of which drive
I put first in the list.  So all 4 drives failed simultaneously?