[mythtv-users] My mythvideo wish list....

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Tue Sep 18 12:15:48 UTC 2007

I (mostly my kids) use mythvideo for most of their TV viewing. There are
a few things I wish mythvideo could do. Everything is coded in C or C++
right? I have some coding experience, but it's been a long time since
I've done C/C++, and even then it wasn't much. So I'm not sure I can do
it, but I'm thinking about giving it a shot. If I do try I'll get on the
dev list, because that's obviously where I'll need to ask questions.
That being said.... I'm looking for a shove in the right direction...

Any suggestions for what to use for coding on Linux(FC5)? (IDE?)
What source file(s) would I need to start with for mythvideo?
Anyone already working on similar functions (see below...)?

We use the Internal player and it fits our needs pretty well, but here
are the things I wish it could do:

1) Option for clearing the bookmark and start video from the beginning.
I love the bookmarks in general, but most of the time I want to start a
show from the beginning.

2) Using the Internal player, create/play/save a Playlist. Something
similar to the Playlist in the Recordings menu would work fine for me.
Maybe some of the same code can be used? In conjunction with #1 when
playing a Playlist bookmarks should be ignored.

3) Some different sort options. Right now I believe I have it setup to
use the browse mode, which sorts the directory trees by name. I'd like
to have a couple other sorts that could possibly be toggled with a key
(and hence a remote button). Besides the standard by name, sorting by
date with newest videos first would be of interest to me.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
James