[mythtv-users] XvMC HD Playback w/ OSD slows playback

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Tue Sep 18 13:10:38 UTC 2007

Rich West wrote:

>>> To be honest, no, I am not sure if it is due to the fade or not.  I'll
>>> check tonight.. I ran out of steam last night.  Unfortunately, in this
>>> case, I am using an nVidia 6200 which doesn't have the hack. :(
>>>
>>> One interesting tidbit I noticed this morning was that our 32" LCD runs
>>> great with XvMC.  It's only the system pushing the larger TV (58"
>>> Plasma) that is exhibiting this symptom.  The systems are identical
>>> except for the xorg.conf and alsa.conf files.  I'll have to do a little
>>> more testing in the evening
>>>

>> Hrmm.. nope.  It is when any part of the OSD is up, not just during the
>> fade in/fade out.
>>
>> I'll try swapping the boxes just to see if the problem follows the system.
>>

> It looks to be something unique with that system since the problem
> followed the box.  I'll just go through and rebuild it from scratch. :)

Before rebuilding the box, I thought I would check to see if there were
any differences in the xorg.conf files, and, to my surprise, the system
I was having trouble with had :
Option "NvAGP" "1"
And the system that worked just fine had:
Option "NvAGP" "2"

So, I changed that setting on the problem system, and viola!  It works
just fine..

I must have altered the setting at one point in time to see if it made a
difference, and I never set it back. I always thought that the goal was
to set it to "1" for better performance, but I guess I misunderstood
what that setting really is supposed to do...

-Rich