[mythtv-users] Running mythfilldatabase

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 13:12:27 UTC 2007

On 9/17/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> > Sounds like mythfilldatabase not automatically running may be a
> > moderately common issue.
>
> Perhaps you two, too, are suffering from the issue that I described in
> Eric's thread (if so--if the below solutioin fixes the issue for any/all
> of you), please let me know as I can probably make a case for getting a
> "fix" into 0.20-fixes).  I'll re-post my answer here since it hasn't yet
> made it into the archives:
>
> It sounds like you may be using the "Run mythfilldatabase at time
> suggested by grabber" but the time that was last suggested (i.e. by a
> "manual" execution of mythfilldatabase) is not in the window during
> which mythfilldatabase is allowed to run. To fix it, change the
> "mythfilldatabase Execution Start/End" times to 0 and 24, respectively.
>
> In 0.20.2 (and 0.20-fixes), the window is "moved" to a period of a
> couple of hours around the suggested time by the backend when the
> backend runs mythfilldatabase. So, if mythfilldatabase is run manually,
> no one is updating the window and it may or may not line up with the
> last-updated window. In SVN trunk (and, in 0.21, when it's released),
> the window isn't changed, rather it's ignored. See
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/263447#263447 .

Mike,

While we're talking about the automatic mythfilldatabase (MFDB) controls,
perhaps you (or someone else, for that matter) can clear up another aspect
for me.  If I have the automatic scheduling of MFDB enabled and then use
the mythwelcome/mythshutdown controls to send my system into suspend
or hibernate, AKA suspend to ram or suspend to disk,  will it wake up when
the MFDB is scheduled to run (presuming that that is before the next
scheduled recording event)?  In other words, is the wakeup time fed to
mythshutdown taking into account *both* the time of the next recording
*and* the time of the scheduled MFDB job?  Section 11.5 of the
documentation in "Installing and using
MythTV"<http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInstall>doesn't
make any mention
of the MFDB time, so it has been my assumption that it isn't accounted for.

Hence, I have not tried the automatic MFDB feature and instead have bashed
together a script to extract the suggested time from the MFDB log and choose
the earlier of that time and the time supplied by mythshutdown (my script is
masquerading as the nvram-wakeup command used to set the alarm time).
If I've reinvented the wheel, I'd be happy to trade in my wagon wheel for
a modern tubeless tire. ;-)

OTOH, if it's not taken into account, do I need to go to the -dev list or
submit
a bug report to have this considered for an enhancement to the code?

Craig.