[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500MCE Question

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 14:25:03 UTC 2007

On 9/18/07, Tim Reynolds <razialx at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I am new to MythTV and I have a question about the 500MCE. I am
> planning on building a PVR for my parents and I want to be sure that I pick
> the right encoding card. This card is a dual-tuner. My question is, can the
> card encode two different shows at once. Everything I have read on the card
> says something to the effect of "Watch a show and record a show at the same
> time", however would like to replicate the features of the DVR I own, where
> I can record two shows and watch a previously recorded show at the same
> time. I just want to be sure that this card will be able to do this, in
> conjunction with an nVidia graphics card and an adequately powerful
> processor. I am worried that this might be a stupid question, but I just
> want to be sure. Otherwise, I would assume that I should purchase two 250s
> or two 150s.

Yes, It can record 2 shows at once. But I would stay away from that as
if you get one with samsung tuners you have to have a perfect signal
otherwise you can get artifacts (faint diagonal lines) in all of your
recordings. After fighting this for 6 months I broke down and spent
$55US for a second PVR150 (to go with my PVR 250) and my PVR500 sits
on my desk.

John