[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500MCE Question

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Tue Sep 18 14:29:40 UTC 2007

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 10:16:31AM -0400, Tim Reynolds wrote:
> Hello, I am new to MythTV and I have a question about the 500MCE. I am
> planning on building a PVR for my parents and I want to be sure that I pick
> the right encoding card. This card is a dual-tuner. My question is, can the
> card encode two different shows at once.

Yes. The card has two tuners, connected to a single cable source
with an internal splitter, and separate composite AV jacks. Encoding is
the only way to get video out of the card, and it can produce
two streams at once.

The only limitation is that you can't hook two separate analog
cable systems to it at once (i.e. one from Comcast and one from
RCN, if you lived in a part of the world where you could buy
both). But you could get around that, even, if you were willing
to push one of them through a cable box first.

-dsr-

--
Every time you give up a right, the terrorists win.