[mythtv-users] My mythvideo wish list....

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Tue Sep 18 14:48:49 UTC 2007

James Pifer wrote:
> I (mostly my kids) use mythvideo for most of their TV viewing. There are
> a few things I wish mythvideo could do. Everything is coded in C or C++
> right? I have some coding experience, but it's been a long time since
> I've done C/C++, and even then it wasn't much. So I'm not sure I can do
> it, but I'm thinking about giving it a shot. If I do try I'll get on the
> dev list, because that's obviously where I'll need to ask questions.
> That being said.... I'm looking for a shove in the right direction...
>
> Any suggestions for what to use for coding on Linux(FC5)? (IDE?)
> What source file(s) would I need to start with for mythvideo?
> Anyone already working on similar functions (see below...)?
>
> We use the Internal player and it fits our needs pretty well, but here
> are the things I wish it could do:
>
> 1) Option for clearing the bookmark and start video from the beginning.
> I love the bookmarks in general, but most of the time I want to start a
> show from the beginning.
>
> 2) Using the Internal player, create/play/save a Playlist. Something
> similar to the Playlist in the Recordings menu would work fine for me.
> Maybe some of the same code can be used? In conjunction with #1 when
> playing a Playlist bookmarks should be ignored.
>
> 3) Some different sort options. Right now I believe I have it setup to
> use the browse mode, which sorts the directory trees by name. I'd like
> to have a couple other sorts that could possibly be toggled with a key
> (and hence a remote button). Besides the standard by name, sorting by
> date with newest videos first would be of interest to me.

I hacked the myth.rebuilddatabase.pl script to insert videos into my
recordings list. So now I have a 'show' called 'Movies' that lists all
the movies I have, and they can be watched like regular recordings, with
all the recordings features like playlists, play from beginning, etc.

It's a bit raw and uncooked, but it does work. Let me know if you'd like
a copy.

Tom