[mythtv-users] Myth Video & UPNP

Greg Estabrooks greg at phaze.org
Tue Sep 18 16:00:43 UTC 2007

> Is there any other way of doing it. Isn't there support for UPNP media
> sharing from the backend directly. Can more recent builds of Myth

 There is support for the backend to serve any content that has
been imported into the database with the video manager. The
mythvideo plugin however however does not use upnp as a source
for content. It's got to be filesystem reachable.

 Now you can cheat a little by using djmount on the client to "mount" the upnp
share as a local filesystem and then point the frontend to it.
The problem with this method is that if your frontend runs the
video manager everything will appear to be a completely different
file path and remove the existing database info and add the new paths,
which will cause the backend to fail to see the files. As long as the
client doesn't run video manager that wouldn't be a problem.

 I used a few of my frontends for a couple of months this way (Video List view browsing the filesystem, pointed to the djmount mountpoint) purely as a test and it worked fine. But I am back to using regular nfsmounts.