[mythtv-users] Commercials, and whether to watch 'em

James Orr james.orr7 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 20:21:44 UTC 2007

On 9/18/07, Pamela Jaye Ashworth <pashworth at mindspring.com> wrote:

> On 17 Sep 2007 at 23:15, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> days,
> > >
> > > Agreed. In some ways I find them more entertaining than the programs.
> > > They certainly waste less time to watch.
> > >
> > > Most are schlock, especially the local ones with the slide show and
> the
> > > radio announcer, but some of the network and big-sponsor syndicated
> ones
> > > are actually worth watching.
> >
> > In fairness to local TV: how the hell do they compete?
> >
> > How is "Gator's on the Pass" gonna do that Toyota commercial where the
> > alien monster ensnares passers by with the standup of a Toyota?
>
> well, the Badcock "Need New Furniture" ones were really good...
>
> the box is set to FF 28 seconds once I decide the commercial isn't
> worth it. If I'm in a hurry, I can always hit 3, right arrow...

Why not hit the commercial skip button?  I know it's not perfect, but I set
a max skip of 5 minutes and that gets rid of most of the big problems, if it
still goes too far I can hit skip back which takes me back to where I was.

It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than a straight 3 minute skip.

But, I often do watch the first one or two commercials before skipping the
rest.