[mythtv-users] Power bill vs SchedulesDirect bill

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 22:28:18 UTC 2007

On 9/18/07, Dennis Lou <dlou99 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> However, I have a feeling most MythTV boxes are quite a bit more than 50W.  Let's say
> it's closer to 80W, in which case it's more like $5.76/month for power (vs. the proposed
> $1.66/mo for SD data).  Then there are those of you who use multiple backends... :-)

My combined MythTV box draws about 75w at idle and I built it trying
to keep power consumption low.

Sempron 3000 (AMD CnQ rocks!)
K8MM-V mobo
FX5200 AGP (Should have gotten onboard Nvidia video to save ~10w)
Single Seagate 7200 300gb (~10w idle)
2 PVR-250s (~10w idle each)
Seasonic Super Tornado 300 PSU (was the most efficient at the time)

If I swapped out the mobo for something that had decent onboard video
and a PicoPSU I could probably save 20-25w at idle.

For now, I've configured it to automatically turn off at night and
ACPI wakeup to turn back on.

BTW, my mobo does have S3 video onboard, but the last time I tried it
(FC6) I couldn't get decent output out of it. Anyone know if F7, which
I'm running now, has better support for it?

-Dave