[mythtv-users] MythTV requires a better name

Paul Mason latepaul at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 13:09:36 UTC 2007

On 18/09/2007, Barry Roberts <manithree at gmail.com> wrote:

> My sister "Tivo's" all her television.  I "Netflick" all my movies.
> Today as I was talking about a PBS show that airs at 3:00 am I unwittingly
> told someone that i "Myth'ed" it.  They were thoroughly confused, thinking I
> had "missed" it.

See I "record" TV programs, and have done so for over 20 years. The
technology I use has changed - and probably will again. Similarly I "hire"
movies (though not very often). Talking this way has the advantage that
anyone who speaks English can understand me.

Trendy verbification is absolutely essential for mass adoption of
> entertainment technology.

I think you're confusing cause and consequence. People talk about
"hoovering" their carpet because Hoover have already succeeded in getting
the message out that they sell vacuum cleaners. The problem with trying to
reverse that logic is it relies on someone having to ask "er excuse me
what's Bantha'd mean?" So it's advertising by annoyance factor. A good
percentage of people will just ignore you or pretend they understood and
move the conversation on to other things. After all whatever it is can't be
that important if you couldn't even be bothered explaining in plain English
could it?

--
Paul Mason