[mythtv-users] Our Only Option is Schedule Direct?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Sep 19 13:44:17 UTC 2007

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 10:24:14PM -0400, B Walker wrote:
> The problem is that some users aren't helping to 'moderate' it.
> Instead several are simply making personal attacks on anyone that
> should suggest that there are other options. A moderated list doesn't
> mean one person has to do the work, I'm sure that there would be
> plenty of volunteers.
>
> When the subject comes up, a simple statement that SD is the
> only 100% legal way to get scheduling data in the U.S. (and
> Canada I presume), other options are out there but the legality
> of those is debatable. That would be moderating. Calling anyone
> that points out other options a "troll" is not only pointless
> but doesn't help answer the question. If there is a serious
> problem a message off list is a much more productive way to take
> care of it.

1) We make pretty much exactly that statement, every time this comes up
(5 threads, so far).

2) We don't make personal "attacks".  ("Troll" isn't an attack, and if
you think it is, your skin's entirely too thin to be hanging out on the
Internet.)

3) I don't believe I've seen anyone called a troll who hadn't
consciously failed to *listen* to our argument at least once; such
people merit the term, IMPO.

4) No, an off-list message is *rarely* the best method of moderation;
it deprives others of the chance to see where the limits are without
themselves having to cross the line.

5) Like I said: PINCH

Cheers,
-- jra