[mythtv-users] On the verge of giving up

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Sep 19 15:10:16 UTC 2007

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 08:24:59PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> IMHO, MythTV is a very expensive DVR solution--it costs a /lot/ of time
>> to learn what you need to learn to make it a good DVR and to keep up
>> with support, maintenance, development/changes for upgrades, etc.  That
>> being said, I feel it's worth the time cost to me because I love hacking
>> on it and learning from it.  If it's not worth the time cost to you,
>> then Windows MCE (if you're willing to spend some time on it) or a
>> cable-/satellite-company provided DVR or a 3rd party DVR like a
>> TiVo/ReplayTV (if you'd rather it just work) is probably a better
>> solution.
>
> FWIW, I used to agree with you on that, until I installed 0.20.2.
>
> Now, admittedly, you gotta install a distro under it, and I used SuSE,
> instead of a packaged one.  But once I clean-sheeted out from under a
> crashed old box, it went like a top.  I just didn't bail *soon* enough.

    I would say the same of Ubuntu 7.10 at this point. It was the first
time I was ever able to allow the distro to build LIRC for me. Previously,
I always had to do it by hand (to some degree or another). Ocassionally it
was a royal PITA.

    Like you, I have recently rebuilt a system lately. This was a frontend
and it was a relatively simple affair.

    I had a minor issue with channel lineups recently. But that was the
sort of issue that also tended up to foul up my DishNetwork setup with one
of the old Tivos. The resolution with MythTV was actually more efficient
and didn't require tying up the living room TV for the process.

    SQL queries can be a lovely thing.