[mythtv-users] Which tuner card to get?

Matt Mossholder matt+MythTV-Users at mossholder.com
Wed Sep 19 21:49:04 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 16:21 -0500, Mathias Gibbens wrote:
> Hi list,
>
>   I'm looking for a digital tuner card for my Linux system. This is my
> first attempt at setting up TV on a computer, so thanks in advance for
> your patience. I'm looking for a card that can receive digital OTA
> channels, both SD and HD. I've looked at the pcHDTV 5500, and there
> are mixed reviews. Some love it and others report problems receiving
> channels. What's worked well for people on this list? I want to get a
> good, solid PCI card receiver, and not an external one like the
> HDHomeRun. Thanks for your help!
>
> Mathias
>
> PS   I'm in the USA

Mathias,
	Although you said you didn't want one, I am going to recommend the
HDHomerun anyway :) From my experience, "good, solid" doesn't describe
what I have experienced with PCI cards.  The HDHomerun has been both
solid AND cheap, especially when you consider it has two tuners, rather
than just one. When you add in that it can be shared by multiple
devices, with a bit of schedule avoidance, and that sure makes it a
winner in my book.

		--Matt