[mythtv-users] Which tuner card to get?

Henry A Harper III hah at alumni.rice.edu
Wed Sep 19 22:16:08 UTC 2007

>I'm looking for a digital tuner card for my Linux system. This is my first
>attempt at setting up TV on a computer, so thanks in advance for your
>patience. I'm looking for a card that can receive digital OTA channels,
both
>SD and HD. I've looked at the pcHDTV 5500, and there are mixed reviews.
>Some love it and others report problems receiving channels. What's worked
>well for people on this list? I want to get a good, solid PCI card
receiver,
>and not an external one like the HDHomeRun. Thanks for your help!

I have 3 5500s in my FE/BE, used for ATSC only, and they have given me no
trouble at all once set up, since last fall. I haven't tried to switch back
and forth between ATSC and NTSC with them, which apparently can cause some
issues, and I haven't tried to use them for QAM.

But I don't have any PCI slots available in the FE/BE so I'm now considering
an HDHomerun. The local CW station has actually gone HD, the question is how
badly do I want to be able to record the premiere of "Reaper" next week vs
watch it live on a non-DVR ATSC tuner. Or maybe I watch too much TV
already...