[mythtv-users] Which tuner card to get?

Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Sep 20 01:08:41 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 04:21:48PM -0700, Steve MacLaren wrote:
> On 9/19/07, Matt Mossholder <matt+MythTV-Users at mossholder.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 16:21 -0500, Mathias Gibbens wrote:
> > > Hi list,
> > >
> > >   I'm looking for a digital tuner card for my Linux system. This is my
> > > first attempt at setting up TV on a computer, so thanks in advance for
> > > your patience. I'm looking for a card that can receive digital OTA
> > > channels, both SD and HD. I've looked at the pcHDTV 5500, and there
> > > are mixed reviews. Some love it and others report problems receiving
> > > channels. What's worked well for people on this list? I want to get a
> > > good, solid PCI card receiver, and not an external one like the
> > > HDHomeRun. Thanks for your help!
> > >
> > > Mathias
> > >
> > > PS   I'm in the USA
> > >

> > Mathias,
> >         Although you said you didn't want one, I am going to recommend the
> > HDHomerun anyway :) From my experience, "good, solid" doesn't describe
> > what I have experienced with PCI cards.  The HDHomerun has been both
> > solid AND cheap, especially when you consider it has two tuners, rather
> > than just one. When you add in that it can be shared by multiple
> > devices, with a bit of schedule avoidance, and that sure makes it a
> > winner in my book.

	Yeah, but how does it fare in terms of network usage?

	I am thinking about putting one upstairs with an indoor amplified
	antenna. I've got structured cabling pretty much everywhere so I
	can either patch through the coax from one room to the other (ending
	up where my backend is) or just having a HDHomerun up there and having
	it hooked up to the backend through the home (cat5e) network.

	I've got GigE switches in between & GigE on the backend.

[deletia]