[mythtv-users] Myth TY HD, (cable and Satellite)

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Thu Sep 20 04:55:15 UTC 2007

> The FCC has not said anything about requiring US cablecos to change from
> analog. But one could have some suspicions that the cablecos will change
> to digital, in order to force people to "upgrade" to a set top box.

Actually, the FCC recently said that cable companies need to support
analog until 2012.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070912-fcc-to-cable-you-must-support-analog-tvs-until-2012.html

I've noticed that in the Pittsburgh area Comcast has started to
rebroadcast a lot of the analog channels as digital, although I'm not
quite certain why.  For example, I get the SD versions of ABC, CBS, NBC,
CW, Fox, WGN, BET, CSPAN, and a handful of others as clear QAM.  This is
in addition to the HD versions where applicable.  In any case, the SD
over QAM signals usually are better than the analog signals.  Who knows,
I may soon be able to get rid of my analog tuner and go all digital.

--Patrick