[mythtv-users] British vs. American English ( was MythTV requires a better name)

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Sep 20 05:51:19 UTC 2007

On Sep 19, 2007, at 5:53 PM, Andreas wrote:

> Le Mittwoch, 19. September 2007, Brian Wood a écrit :
>> You probably live in New York. That's the only place I've observed
>> that
>> behavior. People seem to think the right lane is the "beginner's
>> lane"
>> and don't want to get caught in it.
>
> Add at least the entire state of California to that. It still
> scares the ***
> out of me when people zoom past someone on the right.

Nah, I live near Seattle.  Pacific Northwest drivers, I find, are
totally oblivious to everything happening around them.  They just
pick a lane at random and then drive whatever speed it comes into
their head to drive.

I've found California traffic rather unpleasant.  Last time I was in
the Bay Area, I was doing 80 mph in the center lane, and getting rude
gestures from drivers who thought I should either be going faster or
be in the right lane (where the semi trucks were doing 65 mph.)  I
also discovered California drivers don't yield to anyone, ever.  They
even back out of parking spaces without looking.

I used to live near Detroit.  Drivers there are rather intensely
competitive.  It's nothing personal, they just don't want you in
front of them.  It wasn't uncommon to be doing 70 mph in a 55 mph
zone and have someone suddenly flash by at 90, weaving through
traffic like a slalom skiier.