[mythtv-users] OT Question About OTA Antennas

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 14:51:17 UTC 2007

I just purchased an HDHR.  Very cool device BTW.  I currently live in the
country of Central Illinois.  There's an antenna on the top of a mast
attached to the house.  It's probably above the tree line.  The antenna is
on a rotor however, the rotor is broken.  This is what the antenna looks
like.

Top View:

| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |  || || || || ||
--------------------------->
| | | | | | | |  || || || || ||
| | | | | | | |

That's kinda how it looks.  Anyways.  The pointy, narrow tip is currently
facing North.  I need to turn it South West.  However, I don't know if the
smaller end faces that direction or the larger (wider) end.  Which way
should it face?  The way that I'm judging the signal strength is by hooking
up the antenna feed (which runs through an amplifier, can't remember model
or make) into the VCR and tuning to the analog channel and if that starts to
come in better, then I'm assuming the digital will come in better as well
(since they come from the same transmitter).  This is all assumptions and
hopes and dreams at this point.  AntennaWeb says I should only receive my
local FOX station (which I do just fine), but it didn't say anything about
the religious channels which I also get.  Any help with the antenna anyone
could provide would be helpful.  Thanks!

Jim