[mythtv-users] Advice on debugging crashing system needed

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 00:43:03 UTC 2007

On 9/20/07, Gert van der Knokke <gertk at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> I guess you already have tried re-seating the CPU and memory modules,
> the ATX power connector(s) and such. Quite often a bad contact on one of
> these will react to temperature changes. Try running memtest for some
> time, a bad 'bit' can cause all kinds of havoc.
> Assuming you use the onboard video and not the PCIe slot, otherwise
> re-seating the videocard might help too.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Gert
>
> <Confession mode>
Actually, I'd been too focused on getting other things done while it was up,
but all these things are on my to-do list, hopefully tonight.
</Confession mode>

Thanks for the reminders.  I need to download the memtest rpm to that system
and boot it up... after I reseat things. ;-)

I think I forgot that I said I wouldn't post and did so earlier today,
reporting that it started to act up around the time I moved it downstairs
and switched from VGA output on a computer monitor to S-video output on a
POTV (all on the mobo video I/F).  I may try lugging the monitor down and
checking that, too.

Craig.