[mythtv-users] New Guy Says What?

chris at idlelion.net chris at idlelion.net
Fri Sep 21 14:10:00 UTC 2007

Hi all,

My name is Chris and I'm new to MythTV and this list. I signed up because
I took Windows off my desktop a couple weeks ago, and this week I got two
toys: A 22" LCD monitor and a new ATSC tuner.

I've been using Linux for a long time - since Red Hat 6 or so. My system
has Fedora 7, an old GeForce 3Ti 200 video card, a 1.7GHz P4 CPU, 1GB RAM,
two 120GB disks, a MyHD MDP-120 that doesn't work with Linux and the
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950 USB ATSC tuner.

I managed to install MythTV using the ATRpms repository, which screwed up
the nvidia driver. I re-installed using the ATRpms package, which didn't
work, and re-re-installed the nvidia package. 3D works, but there are
warnings at startup.

I have the 2880 driver compiled and working, but I could use a little help
getting over some humps.

Issue 1: I can see a picture on all the local digital stations. However,
video playback is really slow, like 3 to 5 frames per second on HD
content; 8 to 12 on SD. The CPU is pegged as well, making me think MythTV
isn't using accelerated playback.

Issue 2: No sound at all from MythTV but sound works in other
applications. OpenArena works perfectly.

Any tips or pointers to information (even "try the atrpms list") are
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris