[mythtv-users] New Guy Says What?

chris at idlelion.net chris at idlelion.net
Fri Sep 21 16:26:40 UTC 2007

From: "Mitch Gore" <mitchell.gore at gmail.com>
>> Issue 1: I can see a picture on all the local digital stations.
>> However, video playback is really slow, like 3 to 5 frames per second
>> on HD content; 8 to 12 on SD. The CPU is pegged as well, making me
>> think MythTV isn't using accelerated playback.

> 1.7Ghz is going to be pushing it with HD.  You will most likely need to
> upgrade.  A better video card (nvidia 5200 or 6200) would help if you
> configure XvMC but even then its really close.  I once got HD working on
> a Athlon 1800 but just barely and ended up upgraded for a better user
> experience

> See here for more info:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_HDTV

Thanks Mitch! This page http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC seems to
show a 1GHz Thunderbird playing just fine using a GeForce 4MX. I'll look
into upgrading the video card, but my machine should also take a 2.8GHz P4
or even a 3.06GHz HT P4, but the latter are still pricey.

Seems like my 3Ti just won't cut it.

>> Issue 2: No sound at all from MythTV but sound works in other
>> applications. OpenArena works perfectly.

> check you playback settings.  If i remember correctly its in
> Setup>Playback>TV playback or something like that.  You may need to
> configure you sound to use the right output (OSS, ALSA, Spdif etc.)
> Scroll through the options till you find one that works.

Excellent. Will try this tonight.

The page I linked to above also shows tips for smoother playback. NVAGP,
bob and seperate video modes might help.

Chris