[mythtv-users] New Guy Says What?

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 16:49:53 UTC 2007

On 9/21/07, chris at idlelion.net <chris at idlelion.net> wrote:

> From: "Mitch Gore" <mitchell.gore at gmail.com>
> >> Issue 1: I can see a picture on all the local digital stations.
> >> However, video playback is really slow, like 3 to 5 frames per second
> >> on HD content; 8 to 12 on SD. The CPU is pegged as well, making me
> >> think MythTV isn't using accelerated playback.
>
> > 1.7Ghz is going to be pushing it with HD.  You will most likely need to
> > upgrade.  A better video card (nvidia 5200 or 6200) would help if you
> > configure XvMC but even then its really close.  I once got HD working on
> > a Athlon 1800 but just barely and ended up upgraded for a better user
> > experience
>
> > See here for more info:
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_HDTV
>
> Thanks Mitch! This page http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC seems to
> show a 1GHz Thunderbird playing just fine using a GeForce 4MX. I'll look
> into upgrading the video card, but my machine should also take a 2.8GHz P4
> or even a 3.06GHz HT P4, but the latter are still pricey.
>
> Seems like my 3Ti just won't cut it.
>
> >> Issue 2: No sound at all from MythTV but sound works in other
> >> applications. OpenArena works perfectly.
>
> > check you playback settings.  If i remember correctly its in
> > Setup>Playback>TV playback or something like that.  You may need to
> > configure you sound to use the right output (OSS, ALSA, Spdif etc.)
> > Scroll through the options till you find one that works.
>
> Excellent. Will try this tonight.
>
> The page I linked to above also shows tips for smoother playback. NVAGP,
> bob and seperate video modes might help.
>
> Chris

Thats why I stated that i got it to work on a AMD 1800.  It may be possible
but you will get studders when anything else is happening.  Such as Comm
Flaggin, OSD, Channel change, etc.  Thats why I upgraded.  I am running a
3.4 Ghz P4 and i run 1080i at 35% w/XvMC.  I also have a 3.0Ghz that does it
with slightly higher CPU usages.

one thing to note.  When you get a new video card there are some gotchas.

The current nvidia drivers support 5200 and up cards.

One nice thing about the 5200 is it has the chroma key so you can have  a
color OSD when XvMC is enabled.  The caveat being that its the next card on
the chopping block for nvidia support/updates.

The 6200 works great and pry still has alot of life on it but no chroma key
so you will see a black and white OSD.

Mitchell