[mythtv-users] On the verge of giving up

Joe Ripley vitaminjoe at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 22:39:02 UTC 2007

On 9/21/07, lionel dybowski <lionel.dybowski at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not trying to kill the effort, I am on your side! but linux devellopers
> have to push further towards common people like me who want to do a
> little more with their boxes, like build a media center... without
> having to learn the ins and outs of a computer.. winXXX strengh has been
> to bring computers to people like me, and this why more than 90% of
> computers are winxxx based. However, these guys are now making too much
> money on our back, so we need a serious competitor!

Unfortunately, many of the hardware manufacturers (like the one who
built your TV USB stick) don't provide drivers to the Linux community,
and instead focus on building working, easy-to-install drivers for
Windows.  Building your hardware business around the 90% of users you
mention is much more profitable than the remaining 10% (i.e. the rest
of us). That's why stuff like this 'just works' in Windows (most of
the time).

Because of this, MythTV can still be a bit of a challenge for
inexperienced users (probably why its still in the 0.20.x version
range).

It's always getting better though!  Check back with us once in a while...

--
Joe Ripley
vitaminjoe at gmail.com