[mythtv-users] Problems with LIRC

Chuck Filson mythtv at goodeid.com
Fri Sep 21 23:31:19 UTC 2007

On Friday 21 September 2007 19:03, Ryan Steffes wrote:
> On 9/21/07, William Munson <william_munson at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > Ryan Steffes wrote:
> > > I know this should be on the lirc list, but that's a heck of a lot
> > > harder to search than the myth list, and usually less active.  I
> > > upgraded a bunch of my equipment and along the way managed to cause
> > > enough trouble to make me have to reinstall.  Of all the portions I've
> > > had problems with, I was surprised the one I can find the least
> > > information on is the setting lirc back up.
> > >
> > > It seemed very straightforward, download, make, install, copy the
> > > config file back over and voila!
> > >
> > > However, I'm getting this error and can't find much information on it:
> > >
> > > #modprobe lirc_serial
> > > FATAL: Error inserting lirc_serial
> > > (/lib/modules/2.6.17-15mdv/misc/lirc_serial.ko): Input/output error
> > > #dmesg |grep lirc
> > >
> > > lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
> > > lirc_serial: auto-detected active low receiver
> > > lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 0
> > > lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: no module owner registered
> > > lirc_serial: register_chrdev failed!
> >
> > It cannot find your module. Looks like you did not configure it for the
> > serial module and it was never built.
>
> It's looks like it's the serial module that's giving that error.  The
> file definitely exists where it thinks it is, and modinfo returns
> valid data.
>
> Ry

I had this same error message before and found that it was caused by having
two different versions of lirc_dev on the system.

One was  in the "/lib/modules/2.6.17-15mdv/misc/" (this was the new version)
and the second one was in
the "/lib/modules/2.6.17-15mdv/kernel/3rdparty/lirc/drivers/lirc_dev"
directory.

Renaming the lirc_dev.ko.gz file in
the "kernel/3rdparty//lirc/driver/lirc_dev" directorie solved it for me.

Chuck