[mythtv-users] Should I use LVM on this new raid?

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Sat Sep 22 01:26:50 UTC 2007

Building a new mammoth backend server.  It has a
3ware 9650 8port raid card, and I'm starting out with
2 x 1000GB HDs, initially I plan them in raid0.  As
the budget will allow I'll probably add a couple more
and go to raid5.  I won't guess how many total drives
it might grow to, probably 4-5 in a raid5 setup.  And
starting with 1000GB drives pretty much locks me into
that size forever.

As I get acquainted with the raid card, it has pretty
easy support for adding  new drives to the raid without
reformatting.

In addition to the videos, the raid will also hold other
bulky backups, mirrors of internet dirs, and other misc
storage as needed, but predominately video.

Would people suggest I add LVM software on top of this,
or will I have enough flexibility with just the raid?  Also,
I've normally used XFS, but with LVM the inability to
shrink a filesystem gives me pause about using it.
I've always had good luck with XFS tho, and really like its
deletion speed.  Question to myself, would I ever need to
shrink the video filesystem?

A multi-TB filesystem isn't something that is easy to
backup and reformat...

Thanks,
Brian