[mythtv-users] A plea for help

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 00:54:33 UTC 2007

On 9/23/07, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 06:09:01PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> > Ben Davis wrote:
>
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 08:10:48PM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
> What they both said.  memtest86 is always the first order of business;
> if you installed linux from a commercial distro or a liveCD, it's
> probably in the boot menu; if not you can download an ISO and burn it.
>
> Let it run overnight, at least.
>
> Remember that the internal temp of your box is usually roughly 20F
> hotter than ambient; 30+F hotter if your box's cooling sucks.  How hot
> is the room?
>
> You might want to find the DPMS switch in your X config and turn screen
> blanking off with it; alernative, SSH into the box and say
>
> # tail -f /var/log/messages
>
> (from some other PC) and see what's left when it crashes.

While you're at it, take a look at /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log and see
if
it shows anything interesting at the times of previous crashes.  You could
open a second ssh window and tail it until a crash to see what it shows, as
well.  I might even "tee" the logs to files on the remote machine for post-
mortem analysis.

Craig.