[mythtv-users] A plea for help

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 01:46:17 UTC 2007

> That's all I can think of for now.  Please, anyone who has any idea how I
> can troubleshoot this or give me any ideas, let me know.  My wife gets very
> upset when her soap-operas don't record,  and with the new fall-season shows
> coming up (Heroes!),  I'd hate to miss any of those either :-)   Thanks!

You didn't mention the filesystem, disk layout (LVM, RAID, etc), kernel
version, etc, you were using.  I can say that, in the past, I've had kernel
oopses specifically because of XFS, which occurred during times of high disk
activity (bittorrent was a great way to trigger the problem).

In addition, it sounds like this is a combo FE/BE.  You might try shutting
down X and letting the backend run for a while.  This will allow you to see
any kernel oopses that are occuring, as they will be dumped the console
(just make sure to disable console blanking).  Of course, this means your
Myth system will be unavailable for use during that time, but you could run
a test like this over a few nights, until a crash triggers (assuming one
does).

Brett.