[mythtv-users] XvMC playback problem

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 13:51:18 UTC 2007

On 24/09/2007, James Fidell <james at fidell.co.uk> wrote:

> Using mythtv 0.20.2 I'm getting stuttering playback of some recordings,
> apparently at random.
>
> Building the same sources without XvMC everything appears to work fine,
> but when I configure using:
>
> ./configure --enable-dvb --enable-xvmc --enable-xvmc-opengl
> --disable-opengl-vsync --xvmc-lib=XvMCNVIDIA_dynamic --disable-xvmc-vld
>
> some recordings stutter on playback, no matter how much I tweak the
> various NVIDIA driver/XvMC options as recommended on the wiki and in
> postings to this list.
>
> Where a recording includes the end/beginning of previous/subsequent
> programmes, playback will sometimes start ok, then stutter for the
> programme I wanted to record and return to working ok for the start of
> the next programme.
>
> The same problem occurs with any of the last three NVIDIA drivers (9639,
> 100.11.14 and 100.11.19).
>
> This is using a front-end with a 2.4GHz P4, 1GB RAM and an FX6200 which
> has no problems at all running without XvMC.  It would be nice to get it
> working though.
>
> Any ideas what could be causing this to happen?
>
> James

James,

Let me guess, you're recording DVB (e.g. DVB-T/Freeview) streams right?

If so then I encountered the same problem, it turned out to be when the DVB
stream contained more than one audio stream the playback would stutter
terribly.

I created a quick and dirty fix for mine that records only the first audio
stream I find (for the channel). Although logically this might encounter
problems (I should really look for the first stereo audio stream), in
practice I've encountered no problems....

Cheers

Steve