[mythtv-users] OT Question About OTA Antennas

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 16:06:33 UTC 2007

On 9/24/07, James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/24/07, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> >
> > Removing the power from the amp is NOT the same thing as removing the
> > amp. Almost certainly the unpowered amp has far more signal loss than an
> > F-81 "barrel" connector would have.
> >
> > In addition, the frequency response of an unpowered amp would be nothing
> > close to "flat".
> >
> > beww
> >

> I see.  Well, the first thing to happen tonight when I get home, is to plug
> the HDHR directly into the antenna and fore going the amp.  Thanks for the
> expertise!
>
> Jim

Antennaweb pretty much sucks anymore. Try using www.tvfool.com. I live
about 50 some miles away from Philly and am using a HDX1000
(http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=HDX1000) with my
HDHR. I get about 12 stations from as far away as I am without a
problem.

I don't like heights either so I mounted mine outside a upstairs
bedroom window. No problems at all!

Sounds like your existing antenna needs some work, but maybe
tvfool.com can give you a better idea of what all you could be
getting.